Saturday 2 March 2013

phlegmatic: Having an unemotional and stolidly calm disposition.

I'm not so sure I trust those who are phlegmatic... at least not to an extreme degree.  I mean I suppose it is possible to have complete control over your emotions, but is it possible to be completely unemotional?  I think I'd rather not be anyways.  I enjoy my emotions, even the wild ones.  I feel like it's part of what makes me human.  I know I'm not perfect and I'm okay with that (mostly).

For me, it just seems like those who manage to keep a completely straight face, have something to hide.  I realize this is nothing but an opinion, but a phlegmatic composure is often times accomplice to a lie, or at the very least withheld information.  Which in a sense is just a fancy way of dressing up a lie.

Then there are those who require this ability for their profession (police officers, psychologists, even doctors are a few that come to mind).  However good these people's intentions are, there is a degree of secrecy that is required in their profession, thus the need for being phlegmatic arises.

Personally, I'm the farthest thing from phlegmatic.  I don't think I could hide a single thought or emotion that crossed my mind.  But I suppose that could be a good thing, at least I'm easy to read, and I'm a horrible liar.

No comments:

Post a Comment