Thursday 15 November 2012

cancer: The disease caused by an uncontrolled division of abnormal cells in a part of the body; A malignant growth or tumor resulting from such a division of cells

How many people have been affected by cancer?  If it wasn't your own cancer scare then it was your friend, or your mom or dad, or your grandmother.  I find it ridiculously hard to believe that for the one disease that seems to claim more lives than anything else out there, there is no cure.

I personally hate cancer, although I'm sure it would be impossible to find a single soul who doesn't.  Cutting a path of destruction wherever it goes, grabbing children, mothers, lovers, it doesn't care, like any other disease it is ruthless.  But there is something different about cancer, it's relentless, it's powerful, it's all-consuming.

Sure it's beatable and there are plenty of cases where after many days and nights of treatment that ironically gives way to the worst sickness imaginable, steals your hair, and makes you question how any of it could possibly be better than the cancer itself, the cancer is gone, or in remission, or benign.  And just when you are starting to get back into the swing of things and you think everything is going to be okay, it isn't. 

That's the thing about cancer, it seems as though once it's made itself known, it doesn't like to be beat down, so it returns, with a vengeance.  But that's the thing about the human spirit, no matter what is thrown our way, no matter how horrible, or impossible, or completely unrealistic something may seem, we all have that inner fighter, ready and willing to take on the ultimate fight when it is our survival that is at risk.

So, cancer may have taken my grandmother, it may have affected my friends and my father, but at the end of the day, I know that all of this only makes me all the more willing to fight that bastard of a disease should it ever come my way, and the only thing I have left to say, the only thing I will ever have to say about it is.....F YOU CANCER!!

No comments:

Post a Comment