Wednesday 5 December 2012

Gratitude: a feeling of thankfulness or appreciation, as for gifts or favours

Perhaps the most beautiful thing in this world that we can share with others and still have for ourselves is gratitude.  Taking a moment to step back and look at our lives, there are so many little moments we can give thanks to.  For starters, I'm grateful that I woke up this morning.  How many people have lost the ability to say that?  On top of that, I'm grateful that I woke up in my cozy warm apartment.  It might not be the most beautiful luxurious house, but it is comfy and it is home and I am so grateful that I even have a place to live.  How many people don't have that luxury?

Despite the fact that all I want to do is keep my eyes closed and continue to chase the dream that is sleep, I am grateful that my two little girls have woken up today also.  Although many moments of the day might turn out to be difficult, a battle over using the potty, a compromise at mealtime, a game of patience at nap time, I am grateful for absolutely every moment I have in this lifetime that I can spend with the two people I consider more precious than anyone I've ever met.

Even though my father is resting in a hospital bed, too stubborn to accept my offer and come live with me, even though cancer is slowly taking over more of his body causing him pain and turning him into somewhat of a stranger, I am eternally grateful for the time I've already had with him.  Thinking back to each and every lecture on what I should be doing with my life, I am now capable of giving thanks for his concern over my well-being.  Remembering all the ridiculously foolish fights over nothing, I can even be grateful for those because in the end they have brought me into the light of understanding and we have drawn closer because of it.  The ability to be grateful for all the moments I have had, all the conversations, all the hugs, even all the tears, allows me to draw a little closer to acceptance over the inevitable.

Gratitude can be found for everything and everyone and once we learn to recognize even the most trying moments in life as a gift, an opportunity to grow and learn, life becomes a much happier place to be.

http://www.gogratitude.com/success.html

No comments:

Post a Comment