Tuesday 2 April 2013

B: Bottle or Breast

Ahh, the age old dispute.  Do I breastfeed or do I bottle-feed?

There are advantages to both.  However, it seems that women who choose to forego breastfeeding occasionally have to deal with some flack, and those who choose to forego bottle-feeding occasionally have to deal with some embarrassment and discomfort.

Knowing all the health benefits of breast milk, I was all for it.  However, when I was pregnant with my first daughter, I have to admit I was kind of grossed out by the idea of someone sucking on my boob.  Of course I realized our breasts were created with the sole purpose of providing nourishment for our young, but it still seemed odd to me.  However, once my darling daughter entered this world, it just felt natural.  Knowing that I was providing my sweetheart with one of life's necessities... nourishment, it just felt right.  And the closeness you feel between you and your little one is certainly an added bonus.

Bottle-feeding has it's advantages too.  It takes less time (except when it comes to heating it up, breast milk is always ready to go and it's always the perfect temperature).  You never have to worry about having enough.  (There's always more at the store).  Sore nipples are not a concern.  And those awkward, uncomfortable predicaments of breastfeeding in public and accidentally flashing someone a sneak peek of your boob, are of no concern since you already have a bottle with you for just in case purposes.

With my first daughter I both breastfed and bottle-fed her.  This allowed her Dad to partake in some of the feedings and made the transition from breast to bottle much easier.

My second daughter was breastfed only which meant the sole responsibility of feeding fell on my shoulders.  And introducing a bottle most certainly wasn't as easy as 1-2-3.  As for my boobs... they took a beating, and it was more than a little painful in the beginning, but they healed.  Although... they're no longer perky or bouncy, and they will never be the same again, but that doesn't matter because now that I have kids, I live for them, not me.

At the end of the day, each parent has to make their choice based on what feels right for them and not on the opinions of others.  They should never have to feel embarrassed, guilty, or uncomfortable.  Sure breastmilk is the healthiest thing for a baby, but formulas nowadays are so close to the real thing, I'm sure they're just as good.  As long as you do what feels right for you, and your babies are fed and content, it shouldn't matter what mode of transportation their meal reached them through.

18 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica,
    great post!! I think that there's no right or wrong, each woman should decide herself. I don't like when people try to convince someone on the one or the other, do you know what I mean?
    I don't have children but I also feel like it would be embarrassing when breastfeeding in public :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, to each their own, there is no right or wrong. With my first daughter I was extremely shy when it came to breastfeeding in public, I never did it. But with my second, after going through labour and having so many nurses and doctors see you naked and poke at you, flashing someone your boob, doesn't seem like such a big deal anymore.

      Delete
  2. This might sound a little odd but after the birth of my first child I did try a little breast milk - not in a naughty way - out of curiosity. It was truly disgusting and I don't know what babies see it.

    @Shere my wife didn't exactly breast-feed in public although she had no qualms about doing it at home when visitors were there. There was nothing shameful or embarrassing about it, it was all perfectly natural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, I don't think it's odd that you tried breastmilk. 'It was truly disgusting and I don't know what babies see it.' hahaha, you made me laugh. I'm sure they would think the same thing about things we ingest though. :)

      There's definitely a difference between breastfeeding in the comfort of your own home, amongst people you know, versus the wide world of strangers. It's nice that you think it was perfectly natural, you sound very supportive.

      Delete
  3. So true -- everyone has to find their own way! It's all about being informed. :) And thanks for stopping by my blog. Glad to be doing the A to Z with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, information is key. Thanks for stopping by as well :)

      Delete
  4. Hi--thanks for visiting my blog. This is a great theme for the month. I breastfed all three of my boys, although my oldest was a really early preemie and most of the time I pumped milk and fed him by bottle because he had really bad reflux. With my younger sons, I nursed them until they were 3. I work outside of the home, and nursing through toddlerhood was a great way to stay attached to them.

    Looking forward to reading more of your posts on the A to Z Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pumped too but I mostly froze it so when I stopped nursing they would still have breastmilk. It must have been hard to have continued nursing while working away from home!

      Delete
  5. It's amazing (well, horrifying) how defensive some people get over boob vs. bottle. My aunt went back to work soon after having her first child, so she didn't really breastfeed. Unfortunately, she received a lot of judgment, when what she really needed was support.

    My brother and I were both breastfed, but we were totally different. I self-weaned at 6 months after difficulty keeping feedings down. Mom could only nurse me on one side because I'm blind in my right eye, and I'd freak out if she tried to nurse me on her right side (because I couldn't see her). My brother nursed into early toddlerhood and had no problems. We both turned out fine.

    You're right - the decision depends on so many factors that there is no right or wrong for everyone. The only thing I know for sure is that every new parent deserves encouragement for whatever they think is best for their baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, being a new parent is hard enough, adding criticism over personal choices most certainly doesn't help.

      Delete
  6. i always tried to breast feed--didn't always happen--great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked your judgment and blame free discussion of the breast bottle debate. I breastfed all four children including my twins so breast worked best for me. I think it great for people to have the option to do what workds best for their families. I am glad I stopped by from the A t Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, you have twins!! And you breastfed both of them! You're a true superwoman. :) I think of how tough it is with my girls and how hectic it would be if they'd come together, the thought terrifies me. I think parents of multiples are truly tough people!

      Delete
  8. I solely breastfed my first three, but then my #4 didn't suck right and I dried up quickly for some reason so I learned that bottles aren't so bad (they made it possible for me to be a little more mobile). My fifth one is doing a little of both and it is working fine for me and he's growing cuter and chubbier each day : )
    Kids Math Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, five adorable little ones to love! I thought life was crazy with two, I can only imagine how hectic it must be for you. Bottles aren't bad, it definitely makes things a bit easier.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jessica, Sweet visit down memory lane since I breastfed all five of my children, the youngest of which is 12. Since it has has been awhile, I couldn't help but smile as you reviewed some of those familiar old feelings and thoughts. God bless, Maria at Delight Directed Living

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to have made you smile. :) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete