Wednesday 17 April 2013

O: Outstanding, Outrageous, and Original

My first daughter was an amazing baby!  I wish I'd realized at the time how easy I had it.  She slept pretty much through the night from three months onward.  We never knew she was teething until she popped out a few more pearly whites.  She was always happy, she rarely cried, and there were rarely issues with her health.

My second daughter however, made me realize how easy I had it with my first.  At just over a year she still doesn't sleep that well through the night.  It's as though she's constantly cranky and in pain from teething.  She also is fairly happy but she cries A LOT.  She doesn't like to share, and she gobbles up food like she's starving, hasn't been fed for days and is afraid of when her next meal will be.  Not to mention, we had issues with reflux and my poor little darling used to cry in pain every time she pooped, no matter how many different variations of prunes we shoved down her gullet.

It's hard sometimes not to compare our kids, but we have to remember that they are outstanding, outrageous and original.  They are perfection just as they are.

12 comments:

  1. Oh boy! I won't be having kids for a while, but I sure hope I have at least ONE that's as easy as your first :D

    Writing Through College

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem like most parents have one really good child, and one that's a little more spirited.

      Delete
  2. I'm always amazed at how different children can be in one family! But that is the way God intended it to be. Happy A to Z!

    MakingtheWriteConnections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It boggles my mind too sometimes, especially when looking at adults. It's so strange to see two people raised the same way, at complete opposite ends of the spectrum.

      Delete
  3. Cute post. I have one child now and I feel he's fairly easy too. I'm getting nervous about having number two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could get really lucky. Just enjoy how easy your little one is now. :)

      Delete
  4. A-Z 0n kids! Ha! Not having had kids I can now experience the joys and tribulations of Motherhood vicariously through your blog! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :) Motherhood certainly is a road with lots of ups and downs.

      Delete
  5. Our first was a premie (4 lbs 7oz at birth), but was a good baby. I don't recall us having a lot of trouble with her (at least beyond the stress of being in the ICU for a month before we could bring her home). One thing I particularly recall is the fact that she never put anything in her mouth she shouldn't.

    Child number 2 was a completely different story. Her days and nights were flipped for a while (I recall trading off with my wife on holding her during the night), and she would stuff anything in her mouth that was within arm's reach!

    The following four all fell somewhere within the spectrum of the first two. :)

    From your experience, Jessica, it certainly seems as if the first child eases us into parenthood. It's boot camp. The training wheels are on. When #2 comes along, that's it: training over! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound like a wonderful husband, trading off with your wife during the night! I was all on my own with the sleepless nights and man was I miserable.

      Thankfully my first daughter eased me into parenthood, although I imagine even if my second daughter had come first, I would have managed.

      Delete
  6. LOL.

    Every kid is unique and awesome. My daughter came out with this deep, alto voice. I went, brrr? Then my youngest, a boy, came out with this shrill soprano voice. I cringed and wished I could swap those aspects out for them, but hey, they're both terribly unique, and I love them just the way they are. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha,, it's funny how different each kid can be.

      Delete