Saturday 4 August 2012

poignancy:a state of deeply felt distress or sorrow; "a moment of extraordinary poignancy"

As I sit and ponder what is surely going to be one of the greatest losses in my life thus far, I can feel an immense and intense poignancy taking me over.  As this feeling washes over me, I can feel the tears starting to well up in my eyes.  This leads me to my next thought.....Why is it that our emotions are connected to our tear ducts? 

Returning my attention to thoughts of my upcoming heartache, I can actually feel a tightening in my chest.  My heart is actually aching.  So now I'm thinking: not only is emotion linked to the tear ducts, but it is also linked to that oval-shaped, life-sustaining organ that beats within my chest.  When I feel sadness, it feels pain.

Lost in my own 'moment of extraordinary poignancy', I know that if I allow myself, I will fall into the abyss of a depression so deep, I may never be able to find my way out.  So I fight back those tears that are trying so hard to force their way through the barrier of my eyes and pour down my cheeks.  And I take a few deep breaths, hoping to fight off the pain that has found its way to my heart, where it gently caresses my precious organ deceivingly, holding it prisoner.  But, despite all my efforts, I know that eventually the pain and the sadness will win.  Leading me to my next question.....For how long will my poignant feelings take me over.

3 comments:

  1. Well I figure I'll take an approach to answer your questions. "Why is it that our emotions are connected to our tear ducts?" Well Wikipedia tells us.

    "The limbic system is involved in production of basic emotional drives, such as anger, fear, etc. The limbic system, specifically the hypothalamus, also has a degree of control over the autonomic system. The parasympathetic branch of the autonomic system controls the lacrimal glands via the neurotransmitter acetylcholine through both the nicotinic and muscarinic receptors. When these receptors are activated that the lacrimal gland is stimulated to produce tears."

    "not only is emotion linked to the tear ducts, but it is also linked to that oval-shaped, life-sustaining organ that beats within my chest. When I feel sadness, it feels pain."

    Well this one comes from a number of factors. Hormone fluctuations, muscle tensions, etc. It all boils down to more autonomic system controls and the limbic system. Yay science.

    Now that I've done that, I feel I must comment on "I know that if I allow myself, I will fall into the abyss of a depression so deep, I may never be able to find my way out."

    There is no pit of despair that we cannot crawl out of. In the moments of great despair we may feel that we are overwhelmed and alone, but as it passes and we look back, we realize just how strong we are. How many times in your life have you felt overwhelmed? How many times have you managed to make it through? Life is struggle, it's how we grow strong... don't feel bad for what you have no control over, or even what you do for that matter, just learn and grow from it. That's all any of us can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh matt, don't take me so literally, I just wanted to write. And I just want people to read what I write, and maybe feel something. Hopefully something other than perpetual agitation.

      Delete
    2. oh I know you didn't mean it literally, I just like to answer it =P. Kind of goes into the idea that everything happens for a reason =D.

      Delete